Thursday 2 April 2009

WOOOOO

I just did the coolest thing I've ever done on a Mac - well, two of them, and they both involved Terminal.

Number 1: I played Tetris via Terminal. It was cool. emacs>escape>x>tetris. All good.

Number 2: I ssh'd Crispin's computer downstairs to tell him to come to bed. This was more difficult than it looked. Although the command when you're on the same network is a piece of piss!! ssh username, simple as that. I went for the remote version first (getting ahead of myself), with ssh -l compaddress ipaddress. It didn't work (while idly wondering how it was supposed to know which machine on the network it was, I forgot that it should have been username@machine, and ommitted the @machine). I figured he'd switched off remote login, so I went downstairs, made him minimise EVE online and turned it on (he hadn't, but I noticed the @machine bit helpfully displayed on the menu, and went 'oh crap'), thus defeating the principle, but anyway - I was on a mission.

I went back upstairs then and did ssh -l username@machine ipaddress, wherein Terminal helpfully added this to my list of trusted peeps. Then it told me bash didn't know what the command for my ipaddress was - so I figured it didn't need it. So, I forgot about the -l bit, and did ssh username@machine, and it worked.

So clearly, I then did the following.

say "it is late, come to bed please". I had the bedroom door open, so I could hear the faint sound of amusement coming from downstairs - but it was nothing next to the smile on my face. Sure, it's a tiny achievement to long-haul command line peeps. But it was a big deal to me. :D

Thanks, MacLife :P

No comments:

Post a Comment